Kissamo is a city located 36 km west of Chania and has about 5000 inhabitants. The correct name is “Kissamos” with an “s”, the name Kissamos is “antidaneio” from the English Kissamos where the 2 “s” were used to correctly render “σ” and not sound like “g”.
The economic development of the region is based more on the wine it produces, the famous Kissamos wine, on the oil and on the production of agricultural products. So the small town has not been turned into a busy tourist resort. The city of Castelli is located at the site of the ancient city of Kissamos.
Often buses connect Kissamos with Chania and, from the port of the city, regular ships leave for Gythio in the Peloponnese, and for the island of Kythira. From Kastelli Kissamos you can visit the interesting archeological sites of Polyrinia and Falassarna, the impressive gorge in Topolia, the islands of Gramvousa and the Lagoon of Balos.
Omalos situated 38 km south of Chania in the White Mountains (Lefka Ori).
During the uprisings against the Ottoman Empire. the Turks rarely managed to penetrate the plateau. The name Omalos is said to have derived from a revolutionary song “Πότε θα κάνει ξαστεριά πότε θα Φλεβαρίσει να πάρω το τουφέκι μου…να κατεβώ στον Ομαλό”.
Only twice did the Turks manage to get there and they endured, to stay, only a few days, during the failed revolution 1886-1888.
The Tzani cave is named after Tzanis Markos a revolutionary chieftain in the early years of the Turkish invasion who made it his lair.
He was nicknamed “Fobos” (fear). The cave is about 2.5 km long, and descends 241 metres. It is actually a covered gorge.
The Cretan revolutionary Hatzimichalis Giannaris (1833-1916) was born in nearby Lakkoi, and was prominent in the 1855-1869 conflicts, captured but escaped from prison in Chania and then exiled to Odessa. In 1912 he was elected to the Greek parliament. Although he died in Chania his wish was to be buried in Omalos, where by the Tzani cave stands a church dedicated to him.
During World War II the plateau was used as an airfield.
The Omalos plateau has an area of 15 km2, and lies on the intersection of three districts, namely the Mousouroi unit of Platanias (previously Kydonia), Sfakia and East Selino. Although the settlement is in Mousouroi, most of the plateau lies in East Selino.
11 kilometers west of Chania we can meet Platanias. It is a beautiful and picturesque seaside village, which in recent years has shown rapid tourist growth. The settlement is built along the beach and has stunning views.
We call Sfakia both the south-eastern area of the Prefecture of Chania and the town of Sfakion, the port on the south coast of the prefecture and the seat of the Municipality of Sfakion, which is 75 km from Chania.
The Municipality of Sfakion is the most sparsely populated in all of Greece with an area of 468 sq.km., population 2484 inhabitants) and includes the villages of Chora Sfakion, Anopoli Agios Ioannis, Agia Roumeli, Asfendou, Loutro, Patsianos, Skalokoti, Istraglou and Fskif.
The whole of Sfakia is characterized by the natural beauty of a wild mountain landscape which is uniquely combined with the sea.
Paleochora was a quiet fishing village that has become a tourist resort. Located in the southwestern part of the prefecture of Chania and is 74 km from the city. A special feature of the region is that it is the southernmost point of our country and the southeastern geographical point of Europe.
30 km southeast of Chania, and 2 km from the National Road of Rethymno there are a beautiful village with 850 permanent residents, built in a valley full of trees, ornamental vegetation and running water. At the intersection with the National Road, there is the “Greek Kamara”, a Greco-Roman bridge with characteristics from more recent times, such as Venetian and Ottoman.
Also noteworthy are some churches in Vrises and the surrounding villages.
A seaside village that has developed into a modern tourist resort. Located 38 km southeast of Chania.
The village is located in an area full of trees and greenery, at the mouth of the river Almyros. At this point there is the small port of the settlement, with houses, small and fishing boats.